Best of Innovative Education Colorado For BVSD, Part 1
Now that students are back in school, and teachers have set up their classrooms and attended district professional development, it is time to reflect upon the top 10 takeaways from Innovative Education Colorado.
InnEdCo is a four-day conference held in the mountains where teachers and leaders learn about innovative teaching and learning practices that incorporate the use of digital tools in their daily instruction. In the summer of 2011, Boulder Valley School District had as few as three individuals attend. Jump forward to this June, 2014, when over 50 teachers and staff not only attended, but presented sessions and had key leadership roles in the conferences. We are proud of this movement toward learning and sharing! We hope you can join us next year at InnEdCo!
1. Keynote and Leadership by Dr. Yong Zhao He envisions an educational system that focuses on creativity and entrepreneurial students. By focusing on hands-on learning, incorporating technology, and student-centric classrooms—and not just focusing on test scores—we enable and inspire our children. Dr. Zhao’s books Catching Up or Leading the Way and World Class Learners are inspirational reads.
2. Keynote video: http://tinyurl.com/innedco-inspire. The video was shared during Dr. Yong Zhao’s keynote. It highlights the innovation, leadership, and learning in BVSD and surrounding districts. This movie, produced by students at Rock Canyon HS in DCSD, is the epitome of creativity: the students captured video on Monday and produced this final cut for Tuesday’s keynote. Look at what happens when the creative talents of our students meet the technology in their hands.
3. Making IT Happen Award - This honor was given to Kim Butler, the teacher librarian at Birch Elementary. Her principal states, “Kim is an inspirational team member whose positive attitude encourages students and teachers to try new activities with technology”. A well-deserved award for a leader in libraries, technology, literacy, and innovation.
4. Kahoot! Prepare to amaze your staff and students with this trivia game option! This can be a great option for BYOD schools. It is 100% free with no need for an account, just a game PIN from the main screen and a name. A compelling and oh-so-easy way to engage kids in pre- and formative assessments.
5. Office Scapes - Students thrive in collaborative, flexible learning environments. As we look at creating innovative learning spaces, Office Scapes provided us with two rooms of furniture to investigate and use to create a new flexible learning space. Imagine the possibilities in your classroom and witness it in person in the IT “Copper” training lab!
the next blog will reveal the rest of our
Top 10 InnEdCo moments!